Excerpt

originally posted by Auna

I think he could also drink because he feels worthless a lot of the time when he's sober since he hasn't mastered simple spells yet.

That was funny Blue… I rather enjoyed that!

The separation allows Dakar to experience growth in himself as he has to take care of someone more helpless and intractable than he is, so I actually don't mind them being apart. And I can't wait to hear the talks between Davien and Arithon!

originally posted by George

I have a sneaking suspicion that Dakar has grown somewhat since his enjoining with Kharadmon…I predict that we will probably see a new Dakar (or at least a Dakar of some growth), much like towards the end of the Warhost at Vastmark (when he takes an arrow for Arithon)…

I was always under the notion that Dakar had not learnt how to summon one of the F7 by simple cantrip. This is because (in the previous novels) Dakar repeatedly uses the blood spell and fire technique of summoning Sethvir's awareness. In the excerpt Dakar summons Luhaine directly. I know it is only something small but seems worthy of notice…

Cheers
George

originally posted by Cheryl

I think Dakar and Arithon have been apart enough hope they get together again soon. I love their bantering. It's good Dakar has sometime alone but I think he needs Arithon as much as Arithon needs him. I'm looking forward to Arithon and Davien's time together too.

originally posted by Hellcat

What exactly does the Cathdien's oath state? I thought it was in the books somewhere but I can't find it. I presume its an oath to defend the Land of Tysan and to help the Fellowship appointed King rule and to uphold the compact.

Since there is not a a King of Tysan this wouldn't cause a conflict (yet)for Sulfin Evend, I'm not sure how upholding the compact would effect his status (maybe those claborn sold into slavery could appeal to him.) An oath to protect the land might get interesting though, we know that farmesr have encroched on the free wilds, woudl Sulfin become responsible for returnin the free wilds to their free state.

I can't see Sulfin repalcing Meanol as Cathdien for Tysan. He was asked to swear the oath, to take on a Cathdien's responsiblities not to usurp Meanol.

Hellcat

originally posted by max

But don't you think Sulfin Evend is in a much better position to ease Lysaer into upkeeping the paravian compact, and to prevent the inner cabal from using Lysaer to totally circumvent the compact? Even if Maenol wanted to be the shadow behind Lysaer's throne, I don't think it could happen. Besides Maenol is young enough to become cathdein to one of Lysaers descendants. And possibly Lysaer may need two cathdeins eventually, a liason to the clans and a liason to the townspeople. just thinking out loud.

originally posted by Joy

Thanks so much, Janny!

I've been hibernating - trying to go 'cold turkey' between books to see if it helps make the wait any easier. It hasn't really - hence my checking in with the Chat room a few months early - and boy am I grateful I caved in to the impulse!! I'm still going to try to hold off another month before I dive back into the land of WoLaS - it's almost too absorbing :smiley:.

Congrats in advance on what promises to be yet another wonderful read…

Joy

originally posted by Neil

Following the latest TK preview I reread the Erdane scene in COTM.

Elaira was the first "Koriani" with or without "permission"(?) to enter Erdane for 400 years. Curious.

So is it the necromancers who are "behind" Lord Koshlin? I get the feeling that Lysaer's cabal (Priests etc.) are a different faction…

November is not far away thankfully :wink:

originally posted by Blue

November is not far away

But it is still TOO far away!

Ah, well, another all nighter to look forward to come November!

THANKS ALOT NEIL!

You just added ANOTHER point on the list of growing arcs…

now you have fuelled my curiosity!

Can't it be November yet? :frowning_face:

originally posted by max

there is a physical resemblance between Arithon, Mearn s'Brydion, and Sulfin Evend. All 3 are described as being small men or at least only average in height, whiplash thin and quick, intense personalities, dark haired and pale eyed, Arithon with green, Mearn with grey, and Sulfin Evend with grey-blue. Is there a connection between these 3 that is more obvious to all of you? Subtlties have to hit me straight between the eyes before I get it. Do any of you see a similarity? [smiling at ya]

originally posted by Annette

If so, Max, the connection would have to be way in the past, since Arithon's immediate family have all been on a different world for the past 500 years. So I don't know as that would be a big thing would it? And to put my two cents in - I would love to see Dakar and Arithon together again. I love the interaction between the two. Anyway back to lurking. Have a great one everyone.

question from the except on MM site: why don't the galleymen and the "blue-water" sailors get on?

And if the mutual dislike is "ages old" was it not on hiatus for 500 years? How was there "blue water sailing" without the stars to navigate?

…assuming blue water sailing means crossing larges stretches of water larger than Eltair bay (but maybe this is what Janny means as opposed to hugging the coastline?) If there is blue-water sailing to be done where do they go?

Or is it just a townborn/clan thing in a different form?

Neil

If you re-read the passage in Grand Conspiracy where Feylind encounters Elaira in Morvain, some of your questions may be answered.

The animosity seems to go at least one way (blue water to galleymen):

Feylind's ship's boy has a slashed hand after a knife fight. She makes a comment something to the effect that he won't get left behind when the Evenstar sails. The boy is grateful because Morvain is a galleyman's port and he doesn't want to be pressed into service at oar, or forced to deliver water to the rowers.

This seems reinforced in Warhost when Dakar thinks he prefers travel on the brigantine to Lysaer's galley (gusts of sea air untainted by the sweat of the rowers).

As to reasons why the animosity might go the other way, I'm sure Lysaer's galleymen are not happy with Arithon's blue water hulls outfoxing them in Fugitive Prince, or being able to pass by Havish completely in one trip. (Then there's the usual financial reasons for carrying cargo: if you can get there faster, get the best prices, etc.)

originally posted by Memory

Just found the Excerpt… I always did like Sulfin :smiley:

Memory

Thanks Andrew - I'll look when I can.

It was the "ages old" reference…the third age seems to have seen very few changes with respect to humans…surely humanity would have adjusted a little better to Athera in 5000 years? I know I'm picking at details rather than seeing the big picture maybe…

I did remember that Feylind says "the future is in sail" or something like that to her mother. If it's the future why hasn't it wiped out rowing during 5000 years? Or is it just during 500 years that galleys have been necessary? Did humans sail during the past? I'm confused.

I wonder if there is marked difference financially why the galleymen haven't been forced out of business :wink: I saw retrospectively that the differences spring from rivalry. Naturally…after my message was posted…

My point, I guess, was that "blue water" for me implied "further afield" and I wondered "how" / "where" since the mistwraith seemed to have put a stop to star navigation.

Arithon's short-term wins at sea don't make a difference, I feel, to the "age-old feelings". For the moment anyway. From the excerpt there are comments (Havish scene in TK) that the smugglers (by necessity) are better sailors. The galleys would normally be more "legal" perhaps…

originally posted by Timothy

I was thinking about the excerpt, and if the S'Gannley was the Fellowship's first choice for kingship, what geas do you think they would have had? Would it have been Justice as well? It seems a little weird to me to have a caithdein who's emphasis will tend toward justice assist a king who's geas is justice as well.

Now, I wonder if Elaira has caithdein blood in her too…

I think Janny has said on this board somewhere, that whilst Elaira has clan blood it is not titled or caithdein at all… (from memory…)

originally posted by ARend

I didn't have a chance to read the preview until tonight. Thankfully it's just a few more weeks till TK comes out, otherwise I'd go crazy with waiting :slight_smile: One chapter and just so much there…

A bit unsettling to see Luhaine loosing his "cool" like that…

just a little snippet to add…refering to necromancy.

I reread the first 3 pages of Warhost of Vastmark…and there right in front of my eyes was a reference to Luhaine in Scarpdale dealing with some ghosts drawn across the veil by a necromancer.

I completely missed this the first time (it had no likely impact on the story at that time…the urgent problem on the page was free wraiths were on the way to Athera with Kharadmon). So how many other references have I 'glossed over'?

The only other mention is the "stick" Sethvir frees in GC in the hospice.

Are there any more I wonder? And how big a "problem" is this faction to our "heros"?

Starting with Curse of the Mistwraith? (wry and very devious grin)