Editing of Traitor's Knot

originally posted by fhcbandmom

Scrapple - yuck. I grew up in western New York State and moved to Maryland after getting married. I got a part time job at a grocery store stocking the meat dept. There was this grey block of "stuff", the likes of which I had never, ever encountered. I asked the butcher what it was and he told me "Scrapple". "But WHAT is it?", I asked. I was told that it is the "meat" that doesn't make the grade to be sausage! EEEWWWW…

originally posted by Blue

I was told that it is the "meat" that doesn't make the grade to be sausage!

Ah, known here in the NW as "Mystery Meat."

originally posted by ishmael smith

Ok…one more poke a grits and it's outside with your choice of weapons!!!

Grits is a corn based item that is heavenly when served hot, salted and with butter…it can be cooked combined with peas to create 'peas 'n' grits; or with corn 'corn 'n' grits'…all Bahamian favourites.

Grits is served in any number of consistencies…i like it firm…hehe

Sooooooo…long live the grits!!!

and oh yeah, we don't use no stinkin' milk…yeck!

grits is added to water and cooked to your consistency then served hot!

originally posted by Trys

ishmael,

That sounds a lot like corn meal mush, though what I had in South Carolina was gritty (I figured that's why they were called grits) and apparently made from white corn. Corn meal mush is corn meal cooked until it is no longer gritty (or only slightly gritty).

Different strokes as they say. I like ketchup and mayonnaise on my hamburgers (one on either side of the burger) and friends of mine think I'm nuts. :smiley:

Trys

sounds like you know how to each hamburgers! lolol! Corn meal mush or porridge as we call it is different in texture, taste, colour (yellow) and consistency (it is thicker)…i guess you are correct you would have to sample both to apprecitate

originally posted by Aria

No matter how many times grits are explained to me I still visualise the grit on my drive. :smiley: :S I'm not sure if this is good…or bad…

As for vegemite…blah! Sounds like marmite!

Anyway, I also noticed the sheer number of hyphenated words and I'll admit on the first reading it kept taking me out of the novel. Where the copyeditor decided that that was correct English I'm not even going to ask. If I wrote that in my A-level exams I'd be marked down.

However, that aside Traitor's knot was still a brilliant and engrossing novel.

originally posted by Jay_Jay

This thread reminds me of the following funny that was posted on this very site after the U.S. election in 2000. Various versions of it were floating around the net, and I have edited this one slightly to include my favourite line, about 'U.S. English'… :smiley:

London, 8th November 2000. TO the citizens of the United States of America,

Following your failure to elect a candidate as President of the USA to govern yourselves and, by extension, the free world, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume a monarch's duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, please comply with the following acts:

1. Look up "revoke" in a dictionary.
2. Learn at least the first 4 lines of "God save the Queen."
3. Start referring to "soccer" as football.
4. Declare war on Quebec.
5. Begin to learn to speak and spell properly in English, eg.,'neighbour', 'favour'. There is no such thing as 'U.S. English'. We shall inform Microsoft on your behalf.

Tax collectors from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all revenues due (backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your cooperation and have a jolly good day!

Sincerely,
HRH Queen Elizabeth II

originally posted by linda evans

crikey! who would have thought there would be such hubub over the written and spoken english language. a right comical read, to be sure:smiley: