Destiny's Conflict, second sneak preview

originally posted by Julie

Janny:

I did read those short stories! I am not a Facebooker so I will patiently wait until the new story appears in the Paravia Store.

originally posted by Trys

Janny's Facebook Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/JannyWurts

The Maitz and Wurts Studio Shop: https://www.paravia.com/StudioShop/

The Maitz and Wurts Studio Shop Facebook fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maitz-Wurts-Studio-Shop/525160460828853

originally posted by Annette

Thanks for showing us the new artwork Janny, when did you do the sketch?

The different symbols for the kingdoms of Shand are interesting any chance we can get a bigger picture so we can read the notes?

originally posted by Walt

You read my mind Annette! I tried to blow up the picture, but alas, no dice…

I am still trying to blow up the picture, I somehow doubt Janny is going to let us read those notes, but no harm asking.

The Notes:

Really, they are going to OPEN more questions than they answer, because they involve areas of back history the story has not touched.

HOWEVER, I do delight in teasing, so:

For the Heraldic Devices:

The Dragon on Gold was for West Shand, Drakish Protectorate, Second Age.

The Cresent Moon on purple: was for East Shand, Paravian - Second age.

The crescent moon and black falcon on violet: High King's Device, East Shand, circa Third Age 1.

The gold and purple chevrons, Amalgamate Territores, Shand, circa Third Age 670.

The notes on the drawing in the Paravia Sketchbook:

TAWBAS INN circa Third Age 5918, Sanpashir, Shand copyright 2013 (It was completed early this year). The watercolor was taken from that drawing and hand painted on stretched paper (Arches) and will, perhaps, have figure(s) added for the cover image.

Tawbas Inn subsequently burned down for a violation of terms, and was never rebuilt, the territory being subject to the tribes, and a site of their sacred rites. The well's foundation remains in ruin, and is marked on the Map in Initiate's Trial - the site is also where Elaira met the tribal eldest, and if you wish to know why that place it is historically relevant to the books, proper, you will have to read Child of Prophecy.

Thanks for the extra info Janny. :smiley:

My theory is not completely shot down in flames, I was thinking West Shand might have been a Paravian held kingdom after mankind first settled. Crescent moon moved, dates do not match with any known cause for moving. I will wait, you will get to it eventually.

originally posted by Sleo

It's all terribly exciting, isn't it? Squeee! Fangirl, here.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

*Grins over TAWBAS INN comment*

As all who don't have Annette's steel trap of a mind might attest to, it's impossible to keep all that detail straight without constant re-reads *bows to Annette*, but I smiled broadly at the first mention of the TAWBAS INN in the comment above, having long since procured and devoured Child of Prophecy.

In the sheepish admission department (and before I pat myself on the back any further over something all of you probably also recognized), The Sundering Star and Reins of Destiny are finally on their way to me, long after they should have been!

I have a lousy memory, and am an even worse note taker, which is why all that re-reading was necessary. But the over active imagination makes re-reading fun, even if I hardly ever shoot off in the right direction. Although I have all three books with the short stories in them, I will snap up the Child of Prophecy ebook soon as Janny puts it up. For the new cover alone it is worth it.

There were always some words in the short stories I would love, to have a glossary type interpretation for, Tawbas being one of them.

originally posted by Gill

Janny could you publish your short stories in a little anthology? Or do you not have enough to make it worthwhile? We folk not in the US have problems buying things in foreign currencies - at least I am a scaredy cat when it comes to using my card on monies I do not understand.

Gill, the instant there's a strong enough readership that loves these books…I have created quite a lot of incredible of material, once there is a base of support for it.

originally posted by Gill

The rest of the world of readers must be rather silly or just illiterate if they do not love your books. My daughter and I relish them and anything you write.

originally posted by Auna

I wouldn't say readers are silly or illiterate. Rather, they just don't want to put in the amount of effort required to understand what is going on in this story due to all the multiple threads and nuances in it.

Also, the main point of view character sometimes leaps to conclusions that I as the reader need to work at figuring out. Even after rereading the series several times there are still places where I don't get it and I may never get it unless I post here begging for clarification. Not every reader is going to find that enjoyable.

I find it fun because it means I can reread the story and pick up on something I missed but how many readers reread a 10+ book series?

I've encountered reader requests for recommendations for this sort of complexity from time to time - often their posts receive responses that are just the going popular thing, not necessarily what would fit best. They just have to find this series, or encounter word of it, and that takes presence.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

The Solaris Book of Fantasy and Under Cover of Darkness arrived today…'scuze me while I disappear for a while… :wink:

*Hopes that mild hijacking of thread with peripheral stories is tolerable in the interim while we wait for Destiny's Conflict*

The stories tie right into the series, and definitely add a dimension to the later books/provide deeper insight into the backgrounds, so hijack away.

originally posted by Tracey Wilson

I just got the Solaris! Have Child of Prophecy and Sundering Star coming but have to wait for them to come from the US - I think someone is rowing it over, or possibly swimming whilst holding the book in mouth…anyhoo it's at least another 3 weeks until they get here…are there any others I should look out for? Tx

originally posted by Blue

ACK!! I just checked the dates on these entries. PLEASE tell me I have NOT missed the release of the LATEST of the Wars of Light and Shadow saga!!

Again, apologies for taking so very long to post, once again.

originally posted by Judy

No, you haven't missed it. There's a "status update" thread in this group that has the details. We're all waiting, with varying degrees of patience, and trying not to jostle Janny's elbow too much. It's needed for typing, you see :slight_smile: