Davien

originally posted by skeoke

Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler
Davien likened the rebellion to his own personal version of the Havens.

Did I read correctly that he wanted to send the ungifted through the gate to Dascen Elur and protect the Paravians by leaving Athera populated with only those who could See, and therefore charish, their legacy? That he wasn't against royal rule per se, but rather against the growing ignorance of the towns?

Also, did Davien decide to break with the Fellowship before he was made discorporate? Is that what he intended as he stormed out? Or, did he break afterwards, in a fit of pique? or after striking a bargain, or intending to strike a bargain, with the dragon?

I am going to have to reread from the beginning, paying MUCH more attention to dragons, necromancers, Davien, and the s'Brydion…

originally posted by Hunter

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Davien's motives were outlined in the exchange with Sethvir in Traitor's Knot - Davien viewed that admitting humanity was completely at odds with the vow to ensure Paravian survival. So Davien's view was to admit *NO* humanity to Athera when they came seeking refuge - give them food and send them on to somewhere else.

Davien's view seemed to be that humanity couldn't be trusted to keen anywhere pristine or acknowledge prior ownership and guest welcome. The events thus far have seemed to prove him right. Whether the Biedar came as part of the general wave of humanity or one their own volition, possibly following the Koriathain, hasn't been addressed.

originally posted by Meredith Lee Gray

I thought that exchange was with Arithon, over toast.

originally posted by Susan C

S P O I L E R S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S P O I L E R S

The exchange was between Davien and Sethvir, and my understanding was Davien was against allowing humanity to settle.

I also remember Davien stating to Arithon the the uprising was his personal Havens and it didn't work for him. I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out his purpose. Every theory I had was wrong. My understanding from SF was while he had been against humanity settling on Athera-once they had settled he knew it was doomed to failure, therefore, his solution was the uprising. Davien's thinking - If townspeople in Hanshire rebel, this would show the F7 the Compact couldn't work, so all the humans that did not have latent talent to or were not sensitives would be sent through the gate. But as we know, the uprising spread to all the kingdoms, and instead of townspeople going through the gate-the heirs to four kingdoms were sent. Davien's solution to prevent a larger problem between the towns and the clans only made it much worse. Janny's reveal of Davien's reasoning behind the uprising made perfect sense.

OK, well the exchange that Hunter and I were talking about was in TK, not in SF. I know that Davien and Sethvir talk for a bit in SF, but not about the old issues of humanity's settlement and the Compact. They all know where each one stands on that, and I doubt they have to really discuss it much. (And then there was the flashback to Davien's discorporeation… is that a word?)

But the one I'm trying to remember (purely from memory, sorry!) is when Arithon was in the mountain with Davien, and they were enjoying some toast–or, Arithon was–and Davien discusses the rebellion and how it was his personal version of the Havens and something about how, when mankind first landed, he had voted to re-provision them and send the refugees on. And Arithon says something about "To what fate?" and then he quotes Ciladis.

I believe there was another moment where Davien floats in to chat with Sethvir, but I don't recall specifically what they discussed, if they discussed Davien's viewpoints on humanity's settlement on Athera.

Really ought to dig my books out of moving boxes. :frowning_face:

originally posted by DarthJazy

I'm trying to figure out how exactly he became discorporate. He started the uprising which left Luhaine discorporte. I don't think it is ever mentioned why kharadmon is discorporate. now after they had all had the huge fight davien storms out and sethvir being upset the castle reacted to this? i know Asandir went to save him but was stopped by khara. so did khara know that by crossing the thresh hold he would be killed? can someone clarify for me im confusing myself more.

originally posted by Trys

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I don't believe we know all the details of how Davien was rendered discorporate… only that in some way, shape, or form, Shehane was involved… and not the spirit either.

Trys

originally posted by John Parsons

SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Page 549: '…Davien encountered the raised might of the tower's guardian centaur, and the vigorous reflex for self-preservation entrapped him, past any recourse save one: the ceremonial dissolution his colleagues enacted to spare him, that stripped the spirit out of living flesh'
which I understood to mean that D was trapped somehow by the guardian and unable to escape because he couldn't leave his body (self-preservation) so he was rendered discorporate to save him.

J

originally posted by DarthJazy

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

sorry i keep forgettting to add those. OK hmmm ill reread that section before i say anything hmmmmm

I'm fairly certain the appendix explains how Kharadmon was rendered discorporate. It was looong ago.

SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS

Sethvir was then new to the post as Warden, and hadn't fully understood or gotten the associated powers under control. Sethvir realized first what would happen when Davien crossed his wards. Which were more of a formality, I think… like locking the door when you want people to stay in a room and hash things out–anyone can unlock the door and walk out, but by locking it, it's just a symbolic gesture that you want everyone to stay put until everything is worked out.

But Davien did just walk out, against Sethvir's wish. I think Sethvir was a little too late to stop him.

Then Asandir cottoned on to the danger, but as you say, he was slowed down further by Kharadmon. I really really doubt that Kharadmon had any idea what would happen. He only slammed the door and said "Just let him go" (paraphrase). But I don't think anyone except Sethvir and Asandir understood the danger.

But I wonder if part of the apparent animosity between Kharadmon and Davien is due to that specific moment. I'm sure there's more to it than that. When I read each of those Sorcerer's personalities, I just see them as being two personalities that wouldn't get along. They're both very provocative (as in, liking to provoke). And apparently have very different viewpoints on key matters. It'll be great fun to read those two finally having to interact…

Mer

originally posted by motley

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

I actually have to wonder. Maybe Davien IS WRONG about his doomsday predictions. He has his point of view, but also, his desire to be free. He seemed fine with just letting Entropy take over, and Athera's mysteries fade. But now, the Fellowship, potentially, have their scion of TWO royal houses. And those Scions are somehow imbued with a hint of the high vibrations of the Paravians - whether actually genetically (by some kind of deliberate transferrance) or just a particular evolution of humanity to handle their energies… surely then they have the support of the consciousness of Athera… and it will NOT, as Davien predicted, mean the end. It might need some kind of transformation, but not total eradication?

I love that this story is not only about the people, but the battle for the soul of Athera herself. An attempt not to fall from paradise. Unlike our poor Earth's biosphere.