Cosplay outfits

originally posted by Annette

Nah, the fun one was the last suggestion, you get to blow kisses and dance around showing the legs a bit, and get to poke fun at Lysaer's false religion and his pompous priests.

White silk with a sunwheel logo is not that hard to do, probably an old table cloth would do, with a bit of gold material and thread. If you have a cat who never wears bells you should have a good supply of bells, if not they should be easy to buy and place on some ribbon. Janny never described what paint they were wearing under the outfit, but it might have been gold, like the boys wore. But you dance around in a white robe with a gold sunwheel logo on the chest, any WoLaS fan who read Traitor's Knot is going to immediately recognize your outfit. Probably even without reading that book they would be highly suspicious.

quote:

Dancing on rouged feet, a parade of belled harlots regaled him with blown kisses and smiles. Covering each splendid, seductress's curves was a sunwheel robe, its emblem jiggling against unbound breasts, while the trade-quarter shopkeepers, reeling drunk, clapped and shouted to cheer on their antics.
One of the prostitutes screamed in delight. 'Dharkaron bear witness, you fat, pious saint!' Bosom out-thrust, her attire skirled above lissome thighs, she ran on, 'Here's Ath's perfect justice! We're twins!'
The priest flushed puce and roared, indignation drowned under the roisterers' shrieks of hilarity. There followed an infamous chase through the streets, in which eight naked priests in flapping silk held by pins bolted outside to fetch the town-guard. Armed men were conscripted in the cause of the Light, then dispatched to wrestle the belled tarts of Innish to recover their desecrated sunwheel finery.
The ladies wore nothing but paint underneath. Amid the rough play and licentious jokes, all of Innish dropped prostrate with laughter.

The sunwheel can be seen on the old UK cover of Fugitive Prince.

But for an iconic image that is nice I would go with Jeynsa. But Daliana is a stayer, I am sure she will outlast Lysaer, at least on this side of the veil, maybe we will still think she is unlucky, maybe not.

originally posted by Ypso

While that would be quite an amusing cosplay I think someone else has to pull it off; I for one definitively do not have the confidence required for wearing such a costume.

That being said, an old table cloth is by no means an appropriate substitute for white silk. While I have not participated in cosplaying myself yet I can assure you that it is considered to be serious business; you either do it properly or not at all. So, if a garment is described as being fabricated of silk, you have to go for silk as well. (Note that this comment is supposed to be half serious, half tongue-in-cheek.)

One problem I see with Jeynsa though is her clan braid. I would have to go and check but if I recall correctly those braids are rather rich in detail. Anyway, I will look up all the descriptions of both Lirenda's and the caithdeins' clothes I can find and see if I can work with that.

originally posted by Judy

The problem with Lirenda is that any outfit of hers doesn't really say "WoLaS" whereas something with one of the heraldic devices like Rathain's leopard or Tysan's star or the Alliance's sunwheel is pretty obvious.

Jeynsa had her hair cut short, so you could just have short hair, no need to worry about strands, knots and braiding. She might never have grown it long again.

And with a hint from Janny that we have had a WoLaS cosplayer come out of the shadows. Here is a young lady by the name of Sarah, dressed in her rendition of Arithon's Vastmark shepherd's outfit.
http://www.side7.com/profile.cgim?member=saragate

You can sometimes find a nice second hand heavy weight white silk tablecloth, I just thought maybe some cosplayers might be on a budget.

Wow, awesome, Sara! Were you lurking here all along??

If so, if you send the image and your name to the grphon ((email removed)) then, we can add it to the Facebook fan page which would be awesome.

What you say about Jeynsa cutting her hair is true, though I would assume that she eventually allowed it to grow long again. Either way, those clan braids are just too good to leave them out, so the clan braid is a must when doing Jeynsa.

Thanks for digging out the photo! I have been really curious about the costume after Janny mentioned its existence and it is great to see that there are other WoLaS cosplayers out there. You sure you do not want to give it a try? :wink:

No cosplay for me, I am not up to it, hate sewing, could never afford it as a hobby and would be doing a female version of Dakar (brown neat outfit, no faded plaid). Mind you if Dragon*Con ever moved to Hobart I would be down there in a flash.

Sarah made her appearance at the 2001 Dragon*Con, I recognized the badge she is wearing. She must have been a keen WoLaS fan, hopefully she still is and will turn up here eventually. Would be nice to have her photo on the facebook page.

I would not be so quick to assume Jeynsa ever grew her hair again, considering what happened. Although it would have been nice if she had. Maenelle also had short hair, we never found out why she had hers short, her grandson wore a clan braid. Jeynsa's hair would have still been short for her investment ceremony at Methisle.

In this case I will have to turn to the caithdein of Havish who appeared in 'Initiate's Trial'. I can not remember whether she had short or long hair right now, so will have to check, but if it is not mentioned at all I will conviently assume it was the latter.

Oh, cosplaying Dakar would be a hell of fun! All the drinks…

I have looked up all the scenes with the Koriani sorceresses up until when Lirenda got demoted, so I think I have a general idea now of what her costume (her outfit as First Enchantress) looks like. Here is what I got:

Pleated robe
- made of either silk or velvet
- violett and lavender
- like water
- sleeves are long enough to hide one's hands underneath them
- eight golden or silver bands along the sleeves' hem, indicating her rank

Cloak
- with a dark cowl that has a silver wired band and a lacing
- made of silk
- violett
- has scarlet borders

Shoes
- describes as being made of buckskin
- soles are made of goat leather (or maybe she simply has shoes of different types of leather)
- with heels (to squash poor little cockroaches)

Jewellery
- armlets, one on each wrist
- amethyst rings on fingers and thumbs
- occasionally some hairpins or little combs for the hair

Her personal quartz crystal is white and attached to a linked necklace in silver.

However, the are still some unanswered questions left and maybe Janny (or a more attentive reader) could shed some light on these issues.

1) In an answer to another user Janny mentioned that the Prime's bands of rank are red, as are the seniors', while the lower ranks, up to the third one, have silver bands (if they are in charitable service). That got me somewhat confused because in the books it was stated otherwise, with Lirenda's ribbons being silver or golden. Of course, this could also be a mistake made by the translator or I simply get old, getting things mixed up. Could you please clarify?
2) Morriel has a robe, blouse and girdle with a purse. These pieces do not seem to be mentioned in the books with regards to the other ranks, but I would assume it is true for them as well?
3) The sleeves of one healer are describes as being broad. Does the same go for the other Koriani outfits as well? And, if so, could they be compared to the ones depicted in the painting of the Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse?
4) Are the shoes flat ones or do they resemble boots? Are they dyed or do they have their natural colour?
5) In what shape is Lirenda's crystal cut? Elaira's is described as looking like a frozen teardrop.

I think I have some more - minor - questions, but I probably better leave it at that for the moment. Also, sorry for all the questions, Janny; but I really would like to get the costume right.

Oh, I also succeeded in talking a friend into doing a caithdein over a glass of wine (well, a few glasses of wine), though I have yet to see if she still feels the same now that she is sober again (knocking on wood).

Koriathain don't wear 'uniforms' - but there will be symbolic or direct tags on their garb to designate rank and position.

Lirenda is a clothes horse, definitely!!! She comes from an aristocratic background and absolutely liked 'fancy' and 'rich' - repeatedly she is described as obsessed with impeccable grooming.

The Koriathain 'colors' are, yes, deep purple, lavender, silver or silver gray, and red.

The jewels they wear follow suit:

amethyst, moonstone (both are quartz based/could be active focuses), garnet for low rank, ruby for high, pearls and diamonds.

The silver ribbons of charitable service would be on the sleeves, likely - though a cloak hood or hem might bear that tag, also. They would be silver gray satin, not metallic trim (that would tarnish and these are the lower echelons of the order). So low rank would be silver ribbons, likely on dove gray wool or linen. There are THREE ranks in this echelon - one ribbon for initiate rank, up to three for the depth of talent and knowledge. There would be MANY powerful enchantresses of third rank, in this echelon - ones who were gifted healers or seers, but who were not considered worthy (for reasons of character) of administrative rank.

Administrative rank is denoted by SCARLET BANDS and there are six ranks (above the basic 3 of charitable service). Enchantresses in this echelon are privy to some if not many of the secret intents - they are the ones who carry out orders with some degree of awareness. Not all enchantresses would fit here - (Elaira, for one, would be too outspoken and too honest to handle the layers of intrigue) - Koriathain DO believe the means justifies the end - and the ones who have too much conscience would never rise to these positions.

So you would have scarlet bands of rank UP TO NINE - ONLY the Prime would wear nine!!! Lirenda, as First Enchantress, was the ONLY one in the order to hold Eighth Rank.

An enchantress 'graduating' from third rank charitable to 'fourth rank' administrative - would be four bands. She crosses into the ranks of the decision makers and her silver ribbons change color.

The sleeve designs, bodices, girdles - shoes - all vary according to environment. Outdoors, or riding, think practical. INdoors - could be very ornate for show OR practical - depending.

The banner of the Koriathan has a swan - so - jewelry or embroidery may carry that emblem in the design.

You might find seed pearls or embroidered jewels in the very ornate costumes.

If Lirenda was listed as wearing 'gold or silver trim' on her clothing, this would have been preferential - ornamental - and not indicative of rank.

Personal crystals: would be clear quartz. They could be natural points, or polished, or faceted, or even, spherical. If they were cut, they would have been 'energetically' enhanced or at least, cut in line with the original crystal's natural axis so that the flow was not disrupted.

Anything labeled as a purse would be a drawstring bag or a belt, practical in design, and used in place of pockets, which would not be as 'secure' for carrying arcane items or crystals.

Hair for Koriathain could be worn netted, braided, or pinned up - not likely to be loose.

Koriathain don't wear 'uniforms' - but there will be symbolic or direct tags on their garb to designate rank and position.

Lirenda is a clothes horse, definitely!!! She comes from an aristocratic background and absolutely liked 'fancy' and 'rich' - repeatedly she is described as obsessed with impeccable grooming.

The Koriathain 'colors' are, yes, deep purple, lavender, silver or silver gray, and red.

The jewels they wear follow suit:

amethyst, moonstone (both are quartz based/could be active focuses), garnet for low rank, ruby for high, pearls and diamonds.

The silver ribbons of charitable service would be on the sleeves, likely - though a cloak hood or hem might bear that tag, also. They would be silver gray satin, not metallic trim (that would tarnish and these are the lower echelons of the order). So low rank would be silver ribbons, likely on dove gray wool or linen. There are THREE ranks in this echelon - one ribbon for initiate rank, up to three for the depth of talent and knowledge. There would be MANY powerful enchantresses of third rank, in this echelon - ones who were gifted healers or seers, but who were not considered worthy (for reasons of character) of administrative rank.

Administrative rank is denoted by SCARLET BANDS and there are six ranks (above the basic 3 of charitable service). Enchantresses in this echelon are privy to some if not many of the secret intents - they are the ones who carry out orders with some degree of awareness. Not all enchantresses would fit here - (Elaira, for one, would be too outspoken and too honest to handle the layers of intrigue) - Koriathain DO believe the means justifies the end - and the ones who have too much conscience would never rise to these positions.

So you would have scarlet bands of rank UP TO NINE - ONLY the Prime would wear nine!!! Lirenda, as First Enchantress, was the ONLY one in the order to hold Eighth Rank.

An enchantress 'graduating' from third rank charitable to 'fourth rank' administrative - would be four bands. She crosses into the ranks of the decision makers and her silver ribbons change color.

The sleeve designs, bodices, girdles - shoes - all vary according to environment. Outdoors, or riding, think practical. Indoors - could be very ornate for show OR practical - depending.

The banner of the Koriathan has a swan - so - jewelry or embroidery may carry that emblem in the design.

You might find seed pearls or embroidered jewels in the very ornate costumes.

If Lirenda was listed as wearing 'gold or silver trim' on her clothing, this would have been preferential - ornamental - and not indicative of rank.

Personal crystals: would be clear quartz. They could be natural points, or polished, or faceted, or even, spherical. If they were cut, they would have been 'energetically' enhanced or at least, cut in line with the original crystal's natural axis so that the flow was not disrupted.

Anything labeled as a purse would be a drawstring bag or a belt, practical in design, and used in place of pockets, which would not be as 'secure' for carrying arcane items or crystals.

Hair for Koriathain could be worn netted, braided, or pinned up - not likely to be loose.

Thank you so much for providing such a detailed answer, Janny! You are probably pretty busy right now working on Destiny's Conflict, so I really appreciate it that you took the time to explain the essential aspects of how the Koriani enchantresses dress.

Having indeed assumed that the clothes of the Koriathain order are basically uniforms, it is good to have this cleared up. This way it should also be a bit easier to create the costume as there is more than only one way to do it (read: less likely to screw the design up).

Since you mentioned the swan (scary bird) on their banner - I think it might look rather nice on a drawstring bag and I am sure I will be able to come up with a few more ideas to incorporate the swan in the costume.

By the way, I like your description of Lirenda as a clothes horse. Made my day (and enhanced my vocabulary yet again)!

Oh, my pleasure, but definitely this is exciting and I am dying to see what you will create!!!

Thanks for the detailed descriptions Janny.

I thought the swan was nice, you can see the Koriani standard in between the glossary and appendix in Stormed Fortress, along with the Fellowship one. Still waiting to see the Primes crested crane.

I had a question for Janny, in Fugitive Prince the healer that went to Riverton with Lirenda wore a grey robe and white hood. That is the only time I ever noticed a Koriani wearing a white hood, what was the significance of that?

She liked white.

Well, it will take some time until the complete costume is finished. Doing the design sketches will be a hell of a lot of fun, while creating the sewing patterns will be only hell.
Also, as I have not sewn clothes so far, it appears to be wise to first get some practice by doing something easier before getting started with the big one. A Rathain themed skirt came to mind, so today I went to a big fabric market and got some nice materials for it and also a few things for the Koriani costume. Much to my delight they even had silk in different shades of purple on offer; however, after seeing the price label I decided to first figure out how much I would actually need. Sadly, they did not have any buttons depicting a swan; instead I got a few buttons shaped like a black rose.

If this helps - there are actually some 'period costume' patterns made that are very very simple and easy to alter to fit your purposes. Most of the re-enactors I know use them to start the basic design. Look at the pattern books, I know Simplicity has some, and some of the other major brands. There are also some very simple how to books on the subject that show how period clothes work.

We use these resources (both) for the costume closet - or we did, when the book cover market wasn't so depressed.

I had another question for Janny concerning the bands of rank, the other Koriani that went to Riverton with Lirenda in Fugitive Prince was described as having the triple-tiered bands of a seer's rank. How are the three bands of a seer's rank different to a healer's or another in charitable service? There seemed to be a way of telling the difference, based on the bands of rank. Do all third rank seers have scarlet bands, and healers have silver grey?

Usually you described the third ranked Koriani as having three bands of rank, yet this time you said triple tiered. Was there a difference in how they were sewn on the sleeves? Or was he looking at the cowl perhaps. The third rank seer apparently wore a purple mantle with scarlet-sewn borders and a cowl, and the healer wore the grey robes and white hood of a healer. Or was the seer of higher rank and it was a typo?
(ref Fugitive Prince pg 299 PB or HB versions)

This for me always created a bit of confusion since later it seemed only fourth rank and above would wear scarlet bands of rank.

Thanks for the suggestions, Janny! After looking around a bit on the internet I found some of historical fasion patterns by Simplicity. Might have a got at it, we will see. Though I will probably try to do it without any further help first as I can be quite proud when it comes to such things (no matter how unreasonable that might be).
Well, first I have to do the skirt anyway.