Celebratory preview

originally posted by Stephe

Janny's right I can guarantee you I don't bite! So please feel welcome to post any suggestions, comments, or especially questions.

As a side note’all complaints go to the Merlin half of our company; Kevin’s dog Meisha is the other half. Merlin is my 65 poundish blue Chow Chow. Sorry, I will not vouch for how he will choose to respond to complaints. You’re on your own there…

Later,
Stephe

originally posted by Trys

LOL Stephe.

originally posted by Kitsune

Whoo-hoo!
Janny in Boston! :smiley:

Let us know when you have more specific details, Janny: I'd definitely love to attend, since I live in the suburbs nearby.

And if there'll be a reading/coffeklatch? Even better!

So, many thanks, Janny, for bringing some light back to the contemporary fantasy scene (along with a handful of others)! And thanks as well to Stephen (and Meisha Merlin) for recognizing true talent and bringing it us folks here in the US!

originally posted by Brian K. Mulvey

For Meisha Merlin-

As a reader of The Wars of Light and Shadow from the beginning, I've always enjoyed referring to Janny's map of Paravia, which I do so frequently in order to get a detailed picture in my mind of the terrain her characters are located in and travel through (as I imagine others do as well). For the hardcover editions of Ships of Merior and Fugitive Prince, the publisher very wisely placed the map just inside the front and back book flaps (endpages?). This allowed the reader to efficiently and conveniently access the map while reading, avoiding having to "dig" a handful of pages past the start to find the map when wanting to refer to it without hassle and then quickly return to the story. When we are reading the first half of a volume organized as such, we get to flip open the front flap to instantly see the map, and during the last half flip open the back. Perfect! I wanted to suggest Janny's map–which is one of the best in fantasy today–make a return to its proper place on the endpages for Traitor's Knot. I realize this is extra expense, but it makes the reading experience flow, and makes the publisher's product stand out.

Thanks for the consideration,

-Brian K. Mulvey

originally posted by Auna

I'd love to get a large map separate from the book myself so I can read the print without squinting as well as admire it and have it handy without page flipping! *sigh*

Or maybe a better memory so I can just remember where everything is!

originally posted by Bry

Auna: it's not your memory; it's impossible to remember all the locations on her map! Sometimes I can't even *find* a place and wish I could press a button that would cause a little red light to illuminate the location of my choice. Ha! If you look at the maps as they appear on the hardcovers of Ships of Merior and Fugitive Prince, you will find that there is no squinting required, they are very clear compared to Peril's Gate, and there is no page flipping due to the placement on the endpages. I bet if you asked Janny for a big map, she might send it to you, she's very nice. Oh, I don't know, I just threw that out there, but you never know. Or you could just enlarge a copy of the map yourself.

originally posted by Stefan Urlus

Bry … check the Meisha Merlin topic - you might just get your chance

Stefan

originally posted by stefan

Bry … check the Meisha Merlin topic - you might just get your chance

Stefan

originally posted by Stefan Urlus

Sorry for the double post … moment of madness - seems to occur quite regularly for me at the moment, must be the lack of WoLaS reading

originally posted by Auna

It took me a good five minutes of squinting to find Althain tower and I remembered approximately where it was too!

An interactive map on this site would rule!

originally posted by max

Hello everyone, You can also use a magnifying glass and hilite with a hilighter marker, [like us low tech old folks] but I will look at a map that is interactive also, sounds like fun.