Book Recommendations

originally posted by Walt

Cheryl! Where've ya been Sis? Ack! Look in the old posts for Traitor's Knot and Stormed Fortress… the long and the short is that SF got split due to size and Janny's commitment to excellence! Now we get two dinamite books without draconian editing!

originally posted by Cheryl

Oh ok missed a few posts early on and haven't caught up. Ok thanks I knew I'd probably get a lecture for not knowing but oh well thanks for answering Walt LOL I kind of figured that's what was going on.

originally posted by David Gardner

hehe thanks Cheryl, don't know if I have the patience to write a book, though!

I quite like the Wheel of Time books, certainly they've been extraordinarily successful. Unfortunately though the wheel has been turning slower and slower lately, and it's taking a very long time for new books to be released and a lot of fans (myself included) have been a bit unhappy at how long it's taking for the main plot to actually progress.

There have been several marketing decisions (such as splitting the first book into two parts to make it more attractive to younger audiences), and his release of a prequel book (with the promise of several more) which have raised the ire of many fans, too. I haven't bought or read the last two books.

Of course, YMMV. :smiley: And of course "those who can't - criticise" could apply here too. It is Jordan's world, his creation and ultimately his decision (or his publisher's) after all.

David

originally posted by Sandtiger

The cover to "Summoned to Destiny" is up on Amazon…just click on the cover, and it comes up nice and big. (But don't trust the rest of the info, since the dates, prices, etc. are wrong. The hardcover is coming out in August) The summary info, etc. should go up at some point - but I knew Cheryl would like to see the cover right away. ::grin::

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1550418610/qid=1086997215/sr=8-1/r ef=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-2014797-2091836?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Meanwhile, I got my page proofs. I was speechless at seeing my own words formatted as they will appear in the book. I broke into tears, I have to admit - it still feels so utterly unreal.

Really though, it's gorgeous - I couldn't imagine better. They've taken so much care with it. You'll be impressed with some of the neat style things in it when you see it.

On Sunday, I am going to Book Expo, a trade show where the publisher of the Antho is doing a promotional event, supposedly complete with mini posters of the cover for us to sign - Eeep - Scary!! (I think 4 of the 8 authors in the book are going, so at least I'll be in good company!).

Sandtiger ::Appreciating you all putting up with my nervousness::

I'm so happy for you Sandtiger. Thanks so much for the link. You are right I do want to see it pronto thanks. I am changing my name to a J letter you guys have more luck LOL I can understand your nervousness but it's excitement nervous and that's good nervousness. Good luck can't wait till August. I still wish Julie had been able to come to the world fantasy convention. I'd hope to meet her and Janny both. Sandtiger, can't wait to read your writing style I study authors writing now and learn from them. Maybe you'll have something to teach me too.

Forgot to say to David. I'd be upset with Jordan's prequel too. I would want more of Rand's story. He is what made him famous after all. And the character I'm interested in reading. I think Goodkind's following in his footsteps by ignoring Richard sometimes. I think they should stick to the hero or heroine the fans want to read like Janny does with Arithon.

originally posted by Trys

A follow up to my May 26th posting. I've read two another of Sarah Zettel books: The Quiet Invasion. Simply superb. Zettel is compared favorably with the likes of Asimov and Heinlein in a blurb on one of her books. I have to disagree with that. She is better than either of them. I'd go so far as to say that she is better than both of them put together.

Has anyone else taken Janny's recommendation of this author and tried one of her books?

I'm glad she's better than Asimov and Heinlein. I never was interested in reading them. She must be more science fiction then fantasy then? Just wondering and what's the title of her first book. So I'll know which one to get. Have you read Revelation yet Trys very curious about that. grin

I've read all three of the Isvalta books (from Janny's and other recommendations here. :smiley:) and loved them. I've heard good things from others about her sci-fi, too. I'm not really into 'hard core' science fiction, but I'll keep my eyes out if I'm around the Z section of the bookstore (usually I'm only there when looking at Wurts! ;)).

David.

originally posted by George

Has anybody read the Deverry series by Katherine Kerr? If so what did you think?

Personally i think she's a great writer.

Cheers
George

originally posted by neil

I liked very much the first 4 devery books and the next 4 kept me hooked but I have got a little lost in the latest ones until nevyn turned up again…(and have not reread) I shall buy the last 2(?) just to know how it all ends…it's been 18 years+ since Daggerspell came out I think.

Cheryl,

Zettel's first book is out of print (I just ordered it through Amazon from one of their Z-Shops). I'd recommend trying either Playing God or The Quiet Invasion. Since you like Cherryh's Atevi books so well I've little doubt you'd enjoy these. They both deal with the interaction of humans with aliens. Of course you could also try {A Sorcerer's Treason} the first of the Isavalta books.

As to SF vs. Fantasy, she writes both. Her standalone novels are SF, but with the emphasis on characters and plot, not science. But here Isavalta books are pure fantasy. She also has a book out that takes place in Arthurian times.

David,

If you've read The Firebird's Revenge then I'm guessing you either live outside the US or bought the book outside the US, yes? It is scheduled for release in the US on July 1. I'm waiting for it to come out before reading the second book.

Has no one else tried Zettel?

Trys

Thanks Trys I'll look for Playing God I saw that on the stands once. I might have to order it as well. I'm loaded down with books now I'm making sure I read 3 at least before I buy a new one. I'm punishing myself LOL

Yeah, I'm in Australia, Trys. :smiley: Book 3 has been out here in Trade Paperback since January, in Voyager/HarperCollins imprint.

David.

originally posted by Emrys

I've read 3 or 4 books by Zettel. Playing God, Fool's War (or something like that), and the new Arthurian one, plus parts of another that I couldn't get into (and don't remember the title). Interesting ideas, well written, but not quite that … something, that really catches me. It might be characters - most of the books I reread multiple times have more than one character I greatly like. So far with Zettel, I don't remember any characters that caught my interest.

Like Neil, I liked the early Deverry books, then faded out in the middle as it kept going, and going, and going… I haven't gone back to try the more recent ones. Again, it may be characters. The ones that caught my interest early weren't prominant later on, and the newer ones just didn't have the same staying power.

As a contrast, the most recent book by Lois Bujold, Paladin of Souls, has at least 4 characters that I would reread for. As in Janny's books, there are a lot of small touches that only become apparent upon rereading - phrases or word choice that don't fully reveal themselves until later. It's also one of the most humor-filled serious fantasy books I can think of. Even the most perilous scenes have phrases that cause me to laugh, somehow without detracting from the tension of events. Our Hero rides to the rescue! "Wrong horse, wrong weapon, wrong armor - half-naked counted as wrong armor, did it not?"

originally posted by Frank T Davis

Trys and Others,
Thank you very much for reccomending the Fantasy books by Cherryh. I just finished reading "Fortress of Dragons" and truly enjoyed the series. Has she written other novels in the Fantasy genre that you would recommend?

I will indeed followup on your advice to Cheryl and read some of Zettel's work. I really appreciate Book Nook as have gotten some excellent suggestions from those who contribute.

Have just started Kay's "Lord of Emperors". Hopefully it will be as good as "Sailing to Sarantium" which I also enjoyed.

Had started reading Sara Douglas's "Hades' Daughter" but was having a bit of a problem getting into it so went to Cherryh upon your good advice. I find that I much more enjoy fantasies in which the author builds the fantasy world completely from scratch as Douglas did for "The Wayfarer Redemption Series". Couldn't wait for US release of last three so ordered them from Australia. "Hades' Daughter" builds too much on Greek mythology which happened to be one of my most favorite topics when in school mnay years ago. I must say that as a chemical engineer I didn't fit too well with all the English majors when I took Classical Lit. I was the only one to make an A though.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank,

There aren't many fantasy books written by Cherryh and the others don't have the depth that her 'Fortress' series does. Other fantasys that come to mind are The Goblin Mirror, Faery in Shadow, and
The Tree of Swords and Jewels (this one was originally published as two books). Her Morgaine series reads like fantasy and she wrote a triligy based on Russian Folklore {Rusalka, Chernevog,} and Yvgenie. She also wrote some "Thieves World" stories/books as well as coauthored one of the "Sword of Knowledge" novels.

It's been many, many years since I read these but I remember them fondly. I just don't know if they measure up to the 'Fortress' books.

To get the above titles I did a search on Amazon and most of the above titles appear to be out-of-print.

Trys

originally posted by Hunter

Cherryh has written more sci-fi / space opera than pure fantasy.

I would strongly recommend the Foreigner series as well as the Morgaine books. I've not read every book written by CJ but these two series I've very much enjoyed.

My favorites by Cherryh are the Atevi series and the Fortress books. I started reading her when the Chernevog book came out. I enjoyed that series Russalka was really good. I'm going to start reading Kate Elliott since she's coming to the world fantasy convention. Anyone know where I should start with her books. Also thinking about reading Katherine Kerr. She's someone big I haven't read either.

originally posted by Hunter

Kate Elliot has one series published as Kate Elliot - the Crown of Stars series. There are five books, with the sixth to be released in mid 2005 ish… Start with Book 1. She has also written Jaran novels as her real name of Alis Rasmussen. Her website is http://www.sff.net/people/kate.elliott/

I haven't read the Jaran novels but the Crown of Stars series is very good. The books are absolute door stoppers in size…