Black Bargain

originally posted by Annette

Oh, I found Black Bargain very interesting, especially where that citrine in the ring came from, and I suspect I know who will be ending up with the ring, suspected that since Peril's Gate. But still I cannot quite grasp the nature of it's legacy. I will no doubt have to wait for Song of the Mysteries for my primary question to be answered.

Janny has to get to it eventually.

originally posted by Auna

It was awesome to find out just what Davien meant by his Haven. Wow… just… wow…

originally posted by Jeff

I enjoyed the story. It reflects real life in that we don't really know all of the reasons behind what has brought people to their present circumstances. Assumptions can be so far off.

As usual, not a word wasted. There is so much in so few pages. I'll not risk spoiling for future readers, but I will say I find the new character interesting, and how he develops from the opening lines through… the end of the tale.

***possible Stormed Fortress SPOILER below***

Davien has already been mentioned, so I'll say that it's interesting to see what's really behind his reputation. I'm now going to reread the scene that recalls Davien's becoming discorporate, with this tale in mind.
Also, I now see that Seshkrozchiel showed great restraint while attacking/cleansing Avenor.

Spoiler, Spoiler, Spoiler, Spoiler,

What I wondered was if Davien was really doing anything out in the middle of no where, after he made his first bargain, or was he only trying to get Seshkrozchiel's attention, so he could make the bargain with her that protected the rest of the Fellowship? He moved pretty fast after he had that settled.

For those who did not order Evil is a Matter of Perspective via the kickstarter campaign, or even those who did and do not live in the USA, the book is now available at some online retailers. I would recommend if you want a copy, you order it now, before stocks run out.

Unfortunately Grimdark has sent the kickstarter books out using Media Mail, for overseas people waiting for their books, they are possibly not going to arrive, Media Mail is USA only. I have not been able to find out yet where my books are going to end up. I have already purchased another paperback from the Book Depository, which is on its way to me already. It will only take a few weeks to arrive.

Adrian has said if necessary they will do another print run to replace any lost books, but I wanted mine next month for my birthday. It might take the rest of the year before we find out where the books Grimdark tried to send outside the US have ended up. You would think, they would be recoverable. The postage was more than the cost of the books, if I only have to pay yet more postage on the original Media Mail delivery, I will be happy just to finally get my books.

Write it off as a lesson learned.

Oh yah, I found out just how much it costs to send a book across the pond when I bought book 3 of Trudi Canavan's trilogy long ago to escape waiting months for a US publication. Just another reason to buy ebooks for me.

My birthday present to myself just arrived, very nice the paperback version is, and for free postage, it arrived super fast. But always when I look at that book, I am going to be thinking of the 2 that got lost, even if their replacements do eventually turn up.

Grimdark is going to end up paying a lot of money, for their attempt to save on postage costs.

I hope it looks great - I have yet to see a copy…

If you are getting a copy from Grimdark, might be a while yet before you see it, even though you live in the USA. My camera is pretty woeful, and I am still hunting around for a new image hosting site after Photobucket's changes. But hopefully here is link showing the latest 2 additions to my WoLaS collection. http://imgur.com/8LRJvEg

The two paperback versions of Evil is A Matter of Perspective I ordered as a backer of the Kickstarter project are finally sitting on my bookshelf. :smiley:

Yay – my copy arrived, and it is beautiful!

The anthology, Evil is a Matter of Perspective is on sale in e book format for .99 cents today. Your chance to grab Black Bargain and find out the deep story behind Davien's motivation…

originally posted by Danielle Tilley

Janny, somehow I missed this thread and missed buying the anthology. It is no longer available in print or ebook format. Is there any where else I can buy the short story?

Hi Danielle, I am working on a cover for it/will eventually issue it as a single short with the others already on the Paravia website. The painting for this (and another for The Gallant) is well along in oils; I work on it in the evenings when I can. It's fully blocked in and more than halfway along.

I'm startled to hear you cannot get the e book edition of Evil is a Matter of Perspective - I'd not heard they were going to discontinue it - it was published by Grimdark Magazine, maybe check their website?

Evil is a Matter of Perspective is available on Amazon (US and UK) in ebook form. I see it is in Kindle Unlimited, so the ebook can only be obtained on Amazon right now.

I'm not sure why they took down the paperback. It's not even for purchase on Amazon unless you want to get gouged by a third party seller.

The book was published by kickstarter - so probably there was the one edition/funded by that, and when it ran out, c'est la vie…

Don and I are looking at Vellum to create e formats and print; so the future may hold other opportunities for Black Bargain.

Pleased to announce that Black Bargain is now up in single e format on the Paravia site! It's got a pretty new oil painting on the cover, too, so if you are curious about unlocking some of the mysteries surrounding Davien, go for it. In case you missed The Decoy and The Gallant are up, too - both related to the Wars of Light and Shadow.

https://www.paravia.com/StudioShop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_41_42

Thanks Janny, added it to my kindle collection

Might be an idea to post the new eBook short story news up on your Facebook page Janny, the fans still check even though there is no new news there.

I. Do. Not. Care. For. Zuck's. Ethics.

And I was disturbed, MIGHTILY, when some sweet well meaning person POSTED MY BIRTHDAY on there. NOT sweet at all, handing out personal info to the great global world at large.

However, Annette, yes, I probably should bust my boycott for this.

There USED TO BE a FaceBook fan page for the series - it was largely neglected by readership, but it probably still exists. (The Zuck deletes nothing).

Also: please, anyone who's registered with SFF Chronicle, you could update the page there.

Anybody active in a forum anywhere could do ditto.

I have been buried writing. on YES, Song of the Mysteries…and doing a whole ton of heavy lifting with back history connections to be SURE my scrap notes, damn them, over forty some years, were to some degree consistent.

The layers underlying this series would confound and astonish you - you have NO idea - when a small, satellite short like Black Bargain gets written, I have to IN DEPTH track the timeline for about fifty years OR MORE on both sides, about a hundred year arc that encompasses the past trends and the future impacts…jerk on one thread, the whole dang web quivers.

I could have added enormously to the FAQ and the WIKI material, but haven't because: unscrupulous persons took that material and PUBLISHED IT in compendiums/without my permission. So, sigh, anything I don't register copyright/publish first, they just 'take.'

The pre internet world was kinder, in many ways, because when stuff like this happened, I didn't see it…

Office Max made a small fortune off me in graph paper and MORE, and MORE file cards. Color coded.

Here's your teaser from the rumbling depths of the iceberg you may or may never see: Westland Sea was called that - Why?

Oh, and Grimwards: nobody's asked why 18 are 'listed at Althain' but check out the number that appear on the Paravia map?

If this series ever busts out, you are going to get a whole trove of stuff you had NO IDEA (though some will emerge in Song)…if it doesn't, some university will be asked to cache the canon notes so they are not lost. It's a lifetime's worth.

Oh, and yes: the massive organizing of back notes will make satellite short material MUCH easier to do in the future.

So much to go…and the page count of Song is rising, daily. Do you folks want to know when my reading is scheduled at DragonCon? Anybody going? I will have the originals for the new covers in the art show.