Batting 1000 - new Athera story

originally posted by Blue

Thanks for the link, John! :smiley:

originally posted by Hunter

For Mark @ Galaxy Books - when do you expect to have the anthology containing Reins of Destiny in store? Your website says Nov 2007… which is about now I would think… ::grin::

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Minor Spoilers here for Reins of Destiny…stop reading now if you wish to avoid!

*Blows dust off the thread, coughs a few times, then sets up shop (minus pots, pans and beating implements, for which you should ALL be grateful!)*

No references to Kayjon outside of this story that I'm aware of…gonna have to pay closer attention on the next re-read, but I think someone would have found it by now. The Havish succession, of course, but I'm wondering if there's more connection to be made here…thoughts, my fellow Wurtsians? Possibly examined in an interview that I missed? Not necessarily a continuation so much as a revealing (thru flashback/vision/tienelle/centaur gift, etc.)

Enjoyed the story AND was intrigued by the nameless Clansman and the fact that this tale is almost entirely between 2 characters (Janny's offerings in the larger tale have SO many!).

Almost forgot…thank you for another entertaining read, Madam Talespinner.

originally posted by Annette

You got me all excited there Mark, I thought we were getting a new short story. :frowning_face:

Kayjon was never mentioned anywhere else, although he must have succeeded because the baby obviously survived. The nameless clansman and his cousin are possibly of interest, since we know that lineage was joined with Havish's royal line. And it was the centaurs who arranged that, whether or not they were asked to by someone else remains to be seen. But it was arranged, and no accident. Shassa's name would be significant as well, but Janny never gave us any of the Paravian meanings for the names only mentioned in the short stories.

Luhaine was willing to die to preserve Havish's royal line, which they would later need to preserve the compact and a fair few clan lineages. The Paravians might also be interested in preserving Havish's lineage for those reasons, or maybe another group had an interest? There was also the mystery of how Dakar managed to influence things, since he was not yet born. That was mentioned in one of the books, and Janny has I think yet to explain that mystery.

I gave up and am just going to wait for Janny to throw the starvelings some more crumbs.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

More spoilers…STOP READING if you don't want to know!

Sorry to get your hopes up, Annette. Just an old short story I'd not read yet. I too got excited when Luhaine entered the story, but just as quickly got "frustrated" (qualified to mean that I wasn't going to get any additional details on how he came by his nickname "The Defender" than a sentence or two) by the fact that he entered it dead.

By the way, for those who've not read The Solaris Book of New Fantasy, the other stories in this book (which of course has Reins of Destiny in it) are quite good.

originally posted by Annette

I read Janny's post before checking the date, so it was my own fault I got caught there. For some reason I always preferred the other two short stories, maybe because they did not seem so short and we got to see a bit more of the characters.