Arithon's age

originally posted by Cheryl Detmer

I've been wondering about what will happen after the 500 years is over. Will Arithon age normally or instantly age? Assuming he survives the curse and everything else. I've just been curious what will happen. Maybe only Janny knows. How old is he now in normal years? grin

originally posted by winter

Also, is it 500 years of life from birth to death, or 500 years from the moment they drank from the fountain?

I think from moment they drank from the fountain but that's the way I interpret it. Maybe Janny can tell us that. I've wondered that too. I just wonder if he'll die instantly when that 500 years is up or how it will work.

originally posted by Ellydee

I think there was a picture posted on the main page - Exile's Return? - that showed an obviously older Arithon, as was said in a few other posts. I guess that my feeling is that Arithon ages very slowly, proportional to his longer lifespan. Maybe I just misunderstood, but I think he physically ages a couple years during the last few decades. At any rate, I didn't see him looking 18 throughout. :smiley: Maybe because he was already so old on the inside!

originally posted by neil

Is Arithon returning through a world's end gate? To / from Athera (assuming all gates go off world)? If so which one, I wonder?

Is there any reason to keep the west gate directionnaly sealed now?

If you were obliged to live 500 years would you ever try to stop the geas? 500 years has to drag a little…but there is mention of decades of playing in a vision :slight_smile:

originally posted by Hunter

Exile's Return - which is also one of the main graphics of this site - shows Arithon in full Royal clothing, including Alithiel and his signet ring (which is still with Jinesse).

The royal heirs were exiled through West Gate after the rebellion, Exile's Return would be the formal return of Arithon as High King of Rathain from his current position of exile throughout Athera, not via a World's End Gate.

I would think the World's End gates will remain directionally sealed until the Mistwraith, including the bits left on Marak, are fully resolved. Otherwise if the Mistwraith escapes, it could use those gates to invade and conquer other worlds… such as the Red Desert and through to Dascen Elur.

I think he's not suppose to have aged any. I'm not certain though but I got that he hasn't aged at all since the fountain. Boy wouldn't that drag, 500 years? Arithon isn't bored though I don't think. He's constantly running for his life. Doesn't even have much time to make love. Poor guy.

originally posted by R’is’n

I wonder if his growth in powers would eventually lead him to have the ability to untangle himself from the longevity spell.
Would he then resume normal ageing? Or would he, like the Koriani sister, just crumble to dust?
I don't see why Elaira can't eventually come to master the Skyron and Waystone crystals as Arithon did his geas, the iyats etc… etc…

originally posted by Hunter

Arithon has now spent a lot of time with Davien… I'm wondering if the issue of the longevity spell has come up? Given Arithon's initiate mage training, if Dakar can master the longevity spells, surely Arithon could transmute the artificial 500 year limit Davien put in place into effectively an infinite life span? Verrain is around 700 years so it's possible.

The wider question is whether Arithon would want to live longer… we know Elaira has a similar lifespan now… and I think Arithon would want to live sufficiently long to redeem Lysaer and/or ensure the survival of the clans/Paravians.

originally posted by neil

Good point. Would/could Arithon or Elaira develop into adepts who seem to defy time/space. I suspect not…they seem to want a "normal life" more than anything else.

Arithon is still key to paravian survival / ciladis return / davien's restoral to the team just because Arithon embraces kingship :wink:

Why a black rose. Why "wild"?

"Single": Simplicity, Gratitude

"Many say 'black' represents death and can thus be used as a symbol to express vengeance towards a foe. But others interpret that more liberally, suggesting as a meaning for black roses the death of old habits, thus signalling a rebirth. "

Just because he embraces kingship does not mean he will live to become king

"Davien the Betrayer shall hear no reason, nor bow to the Law of the Major Balance; neither shall the Fellowship be restored to Seven until
the Black Rose grows wild in the vales of Daon Ramon. The briar will take root on the day that Arithon s'Ffalenn embraces kingship."

The Fellowship will continue with / without humanity…one hopes that it's "with" and includes paravian survival ensured by mankind

BTW Why can't paravian's ensure their own survival? Odd…they seem so omnipotent with respect to paravia (they never bothered to go to kathkairr (spelling wrong I know!)…I guess they cannot be all-seeing/knowing or have some fundamental achilles heel…

I worry that Arithon may still sacrifice imself to remove Lysaer and redeem the masses…if he is sure of the outcome, I suspect that he would be willing (but then this for me doesn't fit yet with the TK Arithon that we're seeing…he's looking after his friends for the moment; and risking the fate of humanity is something he feels is his right in the face of fellowship internvention).

I'm rambling but the "war" ain't over yet…

Apologies for driftng too far from Arithons age :wink:

This is my favourite story by the way :wink:

The ending I see is Arithon saving Lysaer and redeeming him and restoring the paravians. It could be Arithon will be a matyr I hope not though. I hope he has a child or a son. I'd love to see him raise a boy with Elaira. I'd like that for them. It's sad they had to do what they did to his seed or daughter in TK.

originally posted by Maria 'borg

I must say I can easily picture Arithon dangling a little girl with wild, reddish brown locks and high cheekbones on his knee. I’m just hoping that Janny can too! :smiley:

Maria

originally posted by susan stevens

I don't know how, or by what type of trial arithon could attain fellowship status OR equality, but i have him pegged for sethvirs position, which by definition must mean sethvir spends himself extravagently over some disaster and passes the wheel or joins the paravians.etc

susan: I know it seems a nice idea, but honestly, I hope he eventually he will be able to pull out his lyranthe, live freely with Elaira and have kids. I hope he gets to live the kind of family life that he never had as a kid.

Although come to think of it, Halliron gave up his family to be Masterbard of Athera… Also, if Arithon became King of Rathain he'd have have the family home, but would still have to carry out public duties.

Wonder if he and Elaira would ever just retire? (After they saved the world, of course!)

I want him to have a son. I think he'd be so great with a boy and he could train him in the arts of music and swordfighting but he'd be cute with a daughter too. I see a daughter that way for him too. Maybe he could have one of each or him and Elaira could have two children.

originally posted by juliana

If we go by the original strands cast by the Fellowship in one of the earlier books and the prologue in CoMW, Arithon's life will be one of cycles of intense violence and turmoil. It is true one can raise children during horrible times- witness the Iraquis, but I don't think that is Arithon's desire. The mistwraith's curse must be lifted before he would dangle any child on his knee

Juliana - I agree with his choice. The children would be born with varying degrees of the same geas let alone being born in turmoil. Kids should not be pawns for anyone to use. People often have kids and don't think of the world they are bringing them into.

I once had someone say to me: "Single mothers wanting to have kids is selfish" and I laughed and asked her, "Do a couple have children for different reasons? Do any parents have kids for the KID'S sake?"

That's what I like about Arithon's choice. He's thinking of the CHILD and the life it would have to lead, not himself as father or Elaira as mother, or the future of Rathain etc…

originally posted by Juliana

Hi Roisin:
The children do not inherit any of the curse. I think that was said by one of the Fellowship, but also Lysaer's son was clean of any of the mistwraith geas. I was refering to the overall "global" effects of the curse. Arithon has five hundred years to father children if he desires to.That is long time in which to hopefully resolve the cause and effects of the Mistwraith's curse. He has already said he would not bring children into the life he must lead at present.

Janny- please correct me if I'm wrong but procreation was not the motivation for a sexual relationship with Elaira.

originally posted by Trys

I think R’is’n may have been referring to the geas of Compassion that is bound to the s'Ffalenn line.

originally posted by Blue

Spoiler Alert!!

I'm not presuming to answer for Janny, Juliana, but the union Arithon and Elaira were planning was NOT for procreation - When Sidir and Braggen started cheering for Dakar's prophecy of a "girlchild conceived this night," Feithan told them it was nonsense, since she had helped Elaira prepare the potion to prevent conception.