Addicted to WoLaS

originally posted by Chana

I'm in a place where books are banned, and suffering from withdrawal. HELP ME!!!

originally posted by Lisa

Where on earth are books banned???

originally posted by Trys

Lisa, unfortunately there are many places on earth where books are banned. Everwhere from specific titles to widescale if not complete banning. It's not only countries with repressive governments who engage in this act. Various 'western' governments do this. I recently heard of a book that is/was banned in Ireland (sorry I can't remember the title). I've also heard of instances of local school boards in the US banning books. It never ceases to amaze me that people are so afraid of 'other' ideas that they will attempt to prevent people from hearing them.

Chana, I too would be curious to know where you are located.

Trys

A US boarding school.

And it's not so much fear of other ideas as an attempt to keep students sheltered from anything cultural. For example: i'm allowed supervised internet access, but no books, movies, or modern music.

Those who actually follow these rules lack creativity and vocabulary. It is amazing how much books affect one's character.

I need ideas on how best to cope.

Chana - start writing the sort of story you want to read…what else to do?

originally posted by Lisa

I am both suprised and saddened by this. It makes me appreciate all the more that i live in Australia and my parents were pretty much hippies. I grew up knowing that i could read, watch, think, feel and be whatever would make me happy.
Chana - Are you allowed a kindle or other ebook type thing? Or even laptop that you could load with ebooks?

originally posted by Hunter

Trys - the world is full of people for whom their way is the only way. Independent thoughts disempower and threaten such people who resort to various means to retain power.

In our favourite imaginary world, there seems to be several prime (he he) candidates. In our "real" world well, instead of getting flamed, I will merely suggest the parallels to the imaginary world aren't difficult to make.

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

That's horrible, Chana. I can't imagine having no access to the books I love. How long are you in the Boarding School?

I don't know why anyone would think it was a good idea to starve people of the world around them… which in my mind is what your school is doing. Without stimuli how are you expected to create anything? Books are a common and great source for ideas. They also help people cope with problems like depression and stress.

Hopefully, you'll be able to come up with a way around all of those rules. :smiley:

If i get really desperate i can always sneak them at three in the morning.

As for writing my own, i've made several attempts but i've never been inspired. Whenever i sit down with a notebook and pen i start thinking about all the great books i've read and usually find myself daydreaming about Arithon a half hour later! I guess i can read them but can't write them :wink:

I plan to spend the next two years here, and will spend a third year studying abroad in a place with similar restrictions. I'll probably get kicked out while reading IT!!

originally posted by Clansman

Seems a strange kind of educational program that doesn't encourage independent reading. I mean, my kids' school barrages parents with "read to your kids" and "make sure your kids read independently", and "read, read, read, read, read!!!". Works for me, 'cause I love reading.

I take it that you have a reading list, Chana, so I suggest that you burn through the thing as fast as possible, and ask about extra reading assignments. After you finish the reading list, give them some ideas about letting you read other things. Just a thought.

As for starting your own writing, try some private fanfic if you can't come up with your own ideas (DO NOT POST IT ON-LINE! You violate copyright when you do that, but writing it for your own benefit is fine). As for original stuff, use your own experience, and twist it a little to add in the fantastic (I mean, your at a boarding school. Can you think of any other fantasy boarding schools? <cough>Hogwarts<cough>) I have the perfect title for a creepy short story, taken from this very thread:

THE BOARDING SCHOOL

It doesn't matter what you write. Just type something on your notepad or desktop, or your IPhone, etc. When you can't read, you may as well write! It will make you a better reader.

originally posted by Annette

I would say I am also obsessed with the WoLaS series. Although I read some of the other books over the years I had not read any in the WoLaS series till last month when I picked up Curse of the Mistwraith for a bargain price. Now I have read all 8 books, some several times and am busy hunting down the short stories. These days it is very rare for me to be obsessed with anything, so thanks Janny for getting the imagination into overdrive, I could just keep reading these ones over and over again till I wear them out.

And any school that limits reading is no school at all.

Annette - thanks for dropping in! What a lovely note!

A school that limits reading - appalling, I have to agree.

originally posted by max

I am also addicted WOLS and have been for several years now. I am, however no longer afraid if a main character dies!! I can just go back to the beginning and behold!! there they alive, hale and hearty. I can't tell you how much fun that was when I discovered that!! LOL. So here is to [grinning at ya]

Max - cool trick!! :smiley:

originally posted by Kevin A Walters

Hi Janny/Fellow Addicts,

Have just registered (1st timer here) & wanted to offer my appreciation (im in absolute awe) not just for the WOLAS (which is better than any fantasy ive ever read) but also for your other series, & stand alone's. I read the COF series in 1990 (Stormwarden was a gift from a Scot i worked with for a season) COTM came to me via a hairdresser in about 95/96 (maybe!), she gave me a holdall full of books & COTM was among them - hooked! After that i read every other book you'd written! The Empire series was a gem of a find - id struggled with REF's Magician & at the 3rd attempt finished it, which led me to Empire (which ive read & re-read) because i enjoyed the story/characters so much (i found the social system akin to the Japanese caste system). Ill stop gushing in a mo (grin). Your style is unique & i love the way the story of Arithon & Lysaer is written. S.R Donaldson (on the back of one your books) wrote, 'it ought to be illegal for one person to have so much talent' (big smile) I thank Ath that you ever put pen to paper. I returned from my honeymoon Oct 10 & flew straight into my local bookstore (there's really only 1 in Jersey, old jersey not new, we're an island state, part of the UK) for the next installment (Initiate's Trial) not out yet? This is not a criticism, im more than happy to wait. Thank you so much Janny.

Hi Kevin - welcome here, and thanks profoundly for the lovely words of enthusiasm.

Initiate's Trial - the draft is fully written, eleven chapter sets are through proofing, and I am polishing the last ones (of 14) so it should be turned in shortly.

Do wake up any aspect of the discussion you care to; and catch up on the news - did you know that Audible UK did Cycle of Fire (all 3) in audio? Just out.

originally posted by Dennis Jewell

Hello to avid readers. There have been very good and very bad reviews for this series. I just wanted to write why I like it. Lately the books I have been reading don’t spend much time with getting to know the characters and spending time with them. They just blitz trough to the main story line and that makes the book seem empty to me. Janny writes with flavor and lets us chum around with the characters. That is so rewarding to me as a addicted reader. I like to escape when I read and what better way then to immerse yourself with fantasy characters you can relate to and join with in their hopes and dreams. On a side note for any that like that in books Robin Hobb does a great job of this with her book Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1).

But I also wanted to add WoLaS is also hard to understand at times. I guess that is why I see so many people doing rereads. There is a lot in these books! Not to mention you need a dictionary half the time to understand the words. To sum up, I really like the books and the time invested to read them. I cant put them down and have never been bored with them, but thy are not everyones cup of tea.

As a last note to MRS Wurts if you read this I loved the Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, Book 1). The beginning of the book takes place in a town called Corlin. I loved that name so much (and book also) that I named my son Corlin. Everyone loves his name. He turns 20 next week.

Thanks for memorable moments in my life and keep writing!

Hi Dennis Jewell,

Welcome here!
Thanks also for posting your lovely enthusiastic words.

And (amazing!) that you named your son after Corlin. May his 20th year be blessed!

There are currently TWO discussions of the series going on at Goodreads.com (one IN DEPTH at a group called Beyond Reality and another of the full series in a group called Fantasy Book Club Series.) A great place for you 'addicts' if you want to join in and help out some new readers, or to pull up your favorite clues and scenes.

There IS a lot in these books - and truthfully - grin - a lot yet to be found that I have not seen discussed at this time. The layers go very deep.

And there are more surprises in store - Initiate's Trial will start to shed light on them.

Definitely, I plan to keep writing!

I counted 14 books (in addition to the series) that I want to FINISH OUT - ideas already to some degree set in motion.

As to the 'hard to read' style - well, you can't skim. This is purposeful. If you rush these books you MISS TOO MUCH. The layers of meaning would not work at all.

More re-reads will open more doors.

Thanks for joining in here and do feel free to open up any topic or question where you may have an interest.