Accents

originally posted by Tygrr

So, there is a definite difference between the manner of speech of clanborn versus townborn. So would this be more like the difference between a southern accent and a midwest accent, or American English and British English? Or am I just wayyyy off? I would really appreciate any other thoughts on this.

originally posted by Zorana Lewis

The way I've always interpreted it, is more say 'Queen's English' and a more colloquial English, for example, a Yorkshire accent, which is worlds apart.

Guess that could just be me though.

originally posted by Trys

I've always thought that the clanborn accent is closer to Paravian than the townborn accent… given that the clans still speak Paravian and many/most of the town people probably do not. :smiley:

originally posted by Tygrr

Thanks for your opinions, I just wanted to hear the dialog in my head properly!!! LOL!!!

originally posted by motley

I think Janny describes the Clan accent as far more clipped and ennunciated, whereas the townborn is more slurred with sloppy vowels - Lysaer makes a comment in the beginning of COTM that after a few drinks, and they'd be able to fit in with the locals.

I like the idea of the Clanborn's accent deriving from Paravian. :smiley: But then sure, wouldn't that be more sing-song like an Irish/Scots accent? *grin*