A question regarding Arithon?

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Janny,

I've been an avid buyer and reader of your books for many years, tracing back to Stormwarden, and without exception become enthralled with each new offering (witness: wife's voice in the background "When are you going to put that book down and go to sleep?!!!).

I have 2 questions about Arithon for you (and hope they won't prove to be spoilers):

1. I like the predominantly ocean concept of Dascen Elur and it's sea-faring cultures; will we seen any current interraction with that splinter, or is it's frame of reference only in the historical/flashback context for Arithon and Lysaer?

2. Like another member (I think the name was "Max"), I've been wondering about the North and East Worldsend Gates, and whether they'd assume roles in Arithon's story (even a simple "Yes" or "No' reply would be treasured!)…

Thanks for your time and for sharing your inspirations these many years.

Mark a.k.a. "Pukahsoda"

P.S. I can't believe I found another soul (in the music chat room, I think) who actually remembers the band "Icehouse".

P.P.S. I'm sure you don't want for lack of these, but if you're ever looking for another test reader, look no further!

Hi Mark -

Welcome here - and thanks for the nice words of enthusiasm.

You Asked:
Dascen Elur and its sea faring culture - and the North and East Worldsend Gates – nothing in these stories is "window dressing." Therefore you can expect you will come to see and understand more and deeper connections.

If not in centerline Depth, in the main story line of the novels, then definitely you might see something set there in the short story and side material I want to generate - but as I write these, they tend to tie straight into emerging threads as they surface in the novels – such material won't be Repeated in the novels, but will offer more up close and detailed insight. (If you found the short story Child of Prophecy in the anthology Masters of Fantasy, you will see very well how this works - or get the upcoming anthology edited by Julie Czerneda and Jana Paniccia, titled Under Cover of Darkness, and look up my story The Sundering Star - you will encounter Actual History, and so, have a very clear lens where a passing mention that occurs in the novel Will Take You Eventually. Lends you the edge, so to speak, on what's behind and coming forward, fast.)

Without looking at any sidebar material – you are likely to see such stitches picked up in Fourth and yet more likely, the Fifth Arc of Light and Shadow.

For right now, there are some answers already in the FAQ section of this website.

Beyond Yes or No:

Expect that At Some Point, the question of why the stars from Dascen Elur were present in the ghost drake's dream, when Arithon recognized the configuration of those constellations while crossing the Grimward (Fugitive Prince) will crop up.

originally posted by Hunter

In FP, Dakar's thoughts were that Arithon himself was somehow interacting with, or influencing the grimward, to produce the Dascen Elur stars. Neither Dakar nor Felirin have been to Dascen Elur so only Arithon (of those three) could have had knowledge of this…

The Worlds End gates were setup by the Fellowship, so someone had to know how and where to find these other worlds - which were setup as part of the Compact. I also wonder whether the earlier reference to the tome on Celestial mechanics might be at play somehow? We don't know how far/near the worlds through the Worlds End gates are. We know Kharadmon (and free wraiths) crossed the void to Marak (which I think was like Dascen Elur and a world linked to Athera via the land through a Gate - South Gate in this instance).

It would seem all the great drake's had departed prior to the end of the Second Age so that was before the creation of the Worlds End gates… could they fly to other worlds through the void as well?

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Thanks for the reply and hints. Two more books for the summer reading list! I'd written most of the peripheral stuff that happened to Arithon in the Grimward off as "hallucinogenic" effects of the dead dragon's dream; guess I'd better read it again!

Mark