A question for Janny regarding TWOLAS

originally posted by Deborah McNemar

You know, I speed read through most books and I enjoy it. Thoroughly. However, one of the reasons that I keep coming back to this series is that I CANNOT speed through them. I devour Tad Williams' in a day (or less given the opportunity) but I have yet to finish any of the WOLAS in less than three days. Peril's Gate took me five. Why? Because I hate to miss the slightest detail. Every nuance and every word is important and I simply, absolutely cannot rush through. It's physically impossible.

originally posted by Ellydee

Janny - Hi!

This question might have been answered in another posting (I'm not sure), but, as an author, what advice would you give to a writer whose plan for a series is not quite working out the way she intended? (My characters are being quite ucooperative, and I've done my best to stay faithful to their voices.) I admit frustration - it's been increasingly difficult for me to create a strategy and stick to it with a definite focus. What would you advise me to do?
Thanks!

originally posted by R’is’n

I'm not Janny, (clearly!) but like to write myself… my experience is… let it all out… down to the last nonsensical word… once you've cleared your head of the stuff that's interfering, go back to focusing on what you wish to write…

then - go back to the 'interference' a few days later… and see if it works anyway.

Helps me to relax into the creative experience by thinking of the story as unfolding along general lines rather than moulding it to detailed plans.

Hope this helps.

Ellydee - don't focus. Follow what's trying to happen. Let it run where it will. THEN watch as it develops - a theme, idea, or direction will emerge, and when you recognize what it is, you may find the "outline" you intended to write was NOT your true voice - the real passion would not be silenced. Follow the real passion…when you know it for what it is, re-tailor your outline to match the story you really wanted to write.

If you are just "running on at the mouth" and the story does not develop into something (else) cohesive, you'll run out of "steam" - if there's no driving substance to what's frothing the pot, it will calm - and you will easily be able to toss off the dross.

It's important to realize YOU do not control your creativity - you are inspired BY it - therefore, it will not be manipulated. It will, rather, illuminate YOU - to record the vision.

If you are not writing what you "think" you should write - your "thinking" is not connected to the true source of your creativity. You can examine that "thought" and probably find - it originated by somebody else's plan, not yours…society's, your parents, your teachers, some dogma that is not YOUR true voice.

One writes from the true voice, or one hacks…and I don't personally know any hacks, despite what the critics insist…

originally posted by willowsix

janny,
i just wanted to say thanks for the Arithon and Lysaer novels. i have just finished vol 7 Traitors Knot (having read each volume back to back)and i do hope you keep on writing this epic for a while longer.
i look forward to the next edition Stormed Fortress and the potential of two further phases.

i read your works firstly through Ray Feist and i liked what i read, then i was given a copy of Hell's Chasm. this lead me to buy Curse of the Mistwraith. i have enjoyed these books so very much, and just had to say a big thanks! keep up the good work from a fan in - the pool (Liverpool,UK)

Hi willowsix, welcome here!

Thank you so very kindly for your nice words!

You can read some preview excerpts from the draft of Stormed Fortress under that topic list, here on this site. Enjoy!

originally posted by DarthJazy

Wow reading all these posts so far im the only person I've whos first Janny book was curse of the mistwraith. I picked it up at random looking for a new author to start a few years back

originally posted by Sarah Jump

Curse was my first Janny experience too. I've filled in the gaps during the lulls between those books. I still can't find sorcerers legacy though.

originally posted by Clansman

Lucky you, DJ & Sarah! Nice to start with the Magnum Opus!

Of course, it's nice to see an artist grow, instead of looking back. I'm quite happy to have taken the route I did.

Heck, they're all a lot of fun!

originally posted by Clansman

Not to mention that the Magnum Opus is at 8 volumes and counting!

originally posted by Susan C

My first Janny book was also The Curse of the Mistwraith-I found it in the local library. I had to read it three times in a row to make sure I was getting everything. Then I went to B&N and bought the all the book in the series up to that point-which was Grand Conspiracy.
Susan

originally posted by BillBob

My first was Stormwarden, with the now Out of Print US edition cover showing in the art gallery. Although, I'm not honestly sure if it had the co-author of Daughter of Empire on it or not. I haven't looked at it in so long, since purchasing the Omnibus edition, I don't honestly remember.

Actually I think the only novel I haven't read of hers is Sorcerer's Legacy, although I can't say with any certainty that is a true statement. Part of me says I have and part says no. I know I have it, however, it is still in a box after the recent cross country move, pending building the "library" in the new house. Missing a few short stories however, including the "This Way Lies Camelot" collection.

originally posted by Trys

I also started with CotM as my first Wurts book.

originally posted by DarthJazy

Glad too see im not alone in this. But alas I am alone in not reading the new one smiff smiff. ***dam the american publishers to hell***

sorry all had to get that out

originally posted by joshua bruce law

Hello Janny and board. First post here having found this board in the last week.

I just wish to thank you Janny for your beautiful work. The War of Light and Shadows is one of the greatest works of fantasy i have ever read, and you along with Raymond E Fiest are my favorite authors.

My first Wurts novel was the Second of the series, the Ships of Merior. I fell in love with Athera from then on, and because of that i went on to read the Empire series. Because of that i was introduced to fiest as well and have never looked back. The richness and complexity of the books from both of you is just amazing and like someone else said i can't get through a single book in a day, i generally need several days to get through one just because i try and catch every single word properly.

A question regarding the Drakes. Did they exist on any other world apart from Athera?.

Hi josua bruce law - welcome here!

Thank you very kindly for sharing your pleased response to the books.

Your question: "did" the drakes exist on any world apart from Athera - I need to clarify what you are asking.

Did the drakes from Light and Shadows originate on Athera?
Have they gone from Athera to other worlds?
Did they dream or create other worlds?

Which did you mean?

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

*lurks in suspense, the drakes being a favored topic…*

Wow, i had just meant specifically the middle one, have they gone to other worlds. But now that you say the other options i would love to hear responses to them as well.

*is chuckling and thinking that janny may have opened a can of worms…*

Well, as it happens - the answer to all 3 is, yes.

LOL

Well i wasn't expecting the answer to be yes to all three.

Ok now knowing that are we going to have anything about the other worlds they dreamed into existance and the drakes on other worlds revealed within the main text, or within a short story sideline?.